The Energy Assistance Program, or EAP, is a low-income rate available to qualified customers.
This rate provides a 25% discount to low-income customers on the customer charge and the energy charge each month. There will also be a one-time arrearage forgiveness as shown on the customer's active electric bill for eligible low-income customers who enroll during the first three months of the program.Read more
There are several assistance programs in Vermont to help customers.
The Vermont Public Service Board has approved a new discounted rate for low-income customers that went into effect on December 15, 2012. For a program description and application, link directly to the Vermont Agency of Human Services Department for Children and Families Energy Assistance Program.Read more
If you are on a time-of-use (TOU) rate you are billed a differently based on the time of day energy is used. We publish the on and off peak times for each time-of-use rate on the rates page. Click on any time-of-use rate and the section will expand to show the on and off peak times.
The Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) is an invasive insect that was discovered recently in Vermont. The bug destroys ash trees from the inside, meaning they can suddenly collapse - causing a safety hazard for customers and crews, while also creating the potential for outages. GMP proposed a proactive plan to remove ash trees along our power lines. Regulators agreed with our approach and gave approval for this temporary line item charge to pay for that work starting in October 2019. It is set to end in 2022. The forestry team is first removing ash trees along our right of ways in areas known to be infested, then moving to areas considered to be at high risk for infestation. Any money collected through this line item will be used for EAB mitigation, and any remaining EAB funds will be returned to customers.
Our Empower rates are a creative and voluntary option for residential customers who are interested in reducing their energy use on as many as 10 peak power days between May and September when power costs are high. We in turn give you a great deal on your energy all year long. This program works best for customers who can be flexible with their energy use. Read our Empower Program blog post to get more information, check out rate details, and see if you are eligible.
It’s easy to incorporate more renewable sources of energy into your mix. To enroll in GMP Cow Power, fill out the online form below or contact the Customer Information Center by calling (888) 835-4672. Unless your request is made on or about the time your regular bill is issued, voluntary renewable service will take effect during the next regular billing cycle.Read more
You can choose to support local Vermont renewable energy with GreenerGMP. Green Mountain Power uses Vermont resources to supply GreenerGMP purchases. In this way your participation in GreenerGMP increases the portion of GMP's power supply mix that is obtained from new Vermont renewable sources. Your purchases from GreenerGMP support energy made from local cows, water, wind, trash, wood and the sun.Read more
In 2009, AARP filed a petition with regulators asking them to direct (CVPS and) GMP to implement low-income rates.
- AARP took this action after the Vermont Legislature passed a bill giving the Vermont Public Service Board the ability to implement low-income rates.
- The Board approved a new discounted rate for low-income customers. Estimated savings are approximately $25/month.
Yes, you can change the rate that you are on currently. There are different rates available depending on how the electric service is set up at your residence/business. All of GMP's rates are listed on the rates page.
If you have questions or are ready to speak to someone about changing your rate(s), you may contact us or call us at (888) 835-4672.
Paying & Understanding My Bill
If you would like to enroll to create a payment arrangement, follow the steps below:
- Login or sign up to My Account. If you haven’t registered for My Account yet, click on Create Account.
- Once you are logged in, click on "Billing & Payment" in the menu on the left side of the page.
- Click on the "Overview" tab and you will see the Payment Plan option to the right of the page.
The low-income rate will be funded by a monthly, per meter line item charge paid by all customers. The charges will go into effect in January 2013.
- The charges are:
- Residential: $1.00/meter/month
- Small Commercial: $1.67/meter/month
- Large Commercial: $55.50/meter/month
Creating an online account is easy, will save you time and will empower you to take control of your energy usage. There are many benefits to an online account:
- 24/7 access to your account information.
- Access to your energy usage information.
- Pay bills and view billing history.
- Manage your account settings like signing up for payment arrangements or budget billing.
- Manage your billing preferences like recurring payments and paperless billing and sign up to receive text notifications.
Click on Create an Account to get started.
There are many factors that can affect your energy usage. Here are some questions to ask:
- How many days were in the billing cycle on your energy statement? The number of days you were billed for this billing cycle may be higher than usual. You can find this information by looking under the Bill Details on your energy statement.
- What was your energy usage at the same time last year? Do you see any patterns?
- Have you purchased any new appliances or large household items that could be using more electricity?
- Check around your home...has something been left on that you are unaware of?
If you think there is a mistake on your bill please call us for assistance at (888) 835-4672.
Your GMP energy statement gives you the information you need to easily manage your account.Read more
While budget billing will not change your total cost of electricity over the course of the year, it will even out those fluctuations from month to month, allowing you to budget your payment well ahead of the due date.
If you are interested in signing up for budget billing, you will need an online account with us.
- To create an online account, click on My Account.
- Click on Sign Up then fill in each field of the registration form.
- You will need to have your GMP account number which you can find on your energy statement.
- If you already have an online account, log in to My Account.
- Scroll down the page to the "Account Settings" section.
- Under billing options, scroll down to Budget Billing Status and click on "Enroll in Budget Billing."
- When the Budget Billing window opens, click on "Enroll." You're now signed up for paperless billing.
Your account will be reviewed every 4 months and may be adjusted at that time. Please note that if you contract with GMP for a new product or service in the middle of your year, your budget amount will not include these charges until we review your account in the 12th month. Until we do our review, the additional purchase will remain a separate line item on your bill.
First, we add up all the costs you have incurred over the past 12 months. They generally include:
- the value of the electricity you use,
- rental costs (for example, if you rent a water heater or other equipment through us),
- and pass-through charges like the charge that helps fund the statewide energy efficiency utility and the charge that helps fund the energy assistance program for low-income Vermonters
We then divide that number by 12. This determines the budget amount you will pay each month for the next 12 months.
Once a year, 11 months after you begin your budget plan, we will compare your budget amount to your actual consumption over the year. If you have used more power and services during that time, we will calculate a new increased budget for the next year. If you have used less power over the year, we will calculate a lower budget and apply a credit to your account that you can use towards future bills. Either way, we will send a detailed letter explaining the changes.
You should pay your current bill amount before your next billing statement as you normally would. If you don’t, your next bill will include your balance and also the calculated budget amount due. If your account is past due when you enroll in the budget billing plan, we will offer you a payment arrangement plan at that time.
We will only remove you from your budget billing plan if you request it by calling (888) 835-4672.
When we review your budget, if your actual electric consumption is lower than the total budget payments made, we will calculate a lower budget amount for you for the next 12 months. We will also credit your account for the amount you’ve paid above your actual usage. You can use that to pay future bills.
You may cancel budget billing whenever you wish by calling (888) 835-4672. We will “true up” your budget billing to your actual charges and your next billing statement will reflect what you actually owe GMP.